Kazimierz was for long an independent town with its own municipal charter and laws. The town was founded in 1335 by King Kazimierz Wielki and was situated on the right bank of the Old Vistula River. It had its own Town Hall, market square and two huge churches the Corpus Christi Church and St Catherin’s Church.
By the end of the 14th century the town came to the most important and wealthiest city of Małopolska.
The history of Jewish Kazimierz began in 1495, when King Jan Olbracht banned all Jewish from Cracow and resettled them to the other side of the Old Vistula River. Soon large groups of Jewish people from all parts of Europe began to settle in Kazimierz. In the 16th century Kazimierz became a significant centre of Judaic law for all Europe. Impressive synagogues were built in the town.
At the end of the 18th century Kazimierz was administratively incorporated into Cracow.
After the War World II only a few hundred Jews survived. The folklore, life and atmosphere of the quarter desappeared.
For many days only the architecture reveals that this was once the Jewish town. The changes took place at the turn of the 1980s. In1988 the first Jewish festiwal took place and five years later the Judaica Foundation was opened. Many cafes, clubs and galleries have appeared.
Now Kazimierz is one of the most popular tourist destination In Poland.